Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Day Six: Transfer to Greece!

Today was a transfer day to Greece. We left on an overnight ferry at 7pm and arrived at 1pm the following day. 


We found our rooming situation humorous. They told us we would be four to a room tonight, and our rooms couldn't have been made for more than two! You can see (below) all of us packed in the center of the room. The sides are the pull down beds. We could only move about one person at a time. Denise had to close herself in the bathroom while we tried to get our bags placed! 


The ferry was spacious everywhere else. The dining and lounge areas were classy, and we enjoyed sitting out on the deck and seeing the different islands we passed. It was interesting to see Ithaka because I teach about it in my Greek units. 


Once we disembarked the ship at Patras, we got on another bus to Delphi. We stopped at this little road side restaurant for lunch. On the outside, it was an unattractive little building, but once inside, it was a different story. I wasn't sure about eating Greek food, but I got a pork shish kebab and the most delicious peach I've ever eaten. The view wasn't too bad either (below). 



After lunch, we had the chance to swim in the Mediterranean (really the Corinthian Sea). I couldn't pass up the opportunity to swim there! 



I learned the hard way that "Carpe diem" isn't always the best phrase to live by. I ended up stepping on a sea urchin :( They are no joke! The told me to put vinegar on it to soften the skin before I pulled out the spines. I was able to get all but one out. 



We continued our journey to Delphi. Our hotel has a lovely view (Dad, much like the one in Switzerland). Delphi is pretty much a one street town. It's run by one large family, each having a store, hotel, or restaurant. It reminded me of My Big Fat Greek Family. We shopped and had a late dinner. Tomorrow we will explore the ruins of Delphi. 



2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see more pictures of Greece😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this must have been exactly what appealed to Dimitris Tsitouras, an Athenian lawyer/art collector/jet setter, when he acquired a late-181h century mansion and turned it into a collection of absolutely exquisite houses. We specialize in transfers from or to Santorini

    ReplyDelete