Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day One: Roma!

We made it to Roma this morning around 7am! We had a couple of hiccups at the airport, but we arrived safely. I was disappointed, however, because I did get my passport stamped on my way in! I was looking forward to adding Rome to my list of stamps. The customs officer, who was unusually cheery, was overly intrigued by my name. He looked at me and said what sounded like "Russia?" to which I immediately replied "No, I'm American!" He then said "Ray-shell?" and I realized that he was trying to say my name. By the time he finally got it right and stopped laughing, he had pushed me through the line with a "Welcome to Italy!" It was then that I realized he forgot to stamp my passport :(

Once we found our EF tour director, we were ready to go! He then informed us that the last group's flight had been delayed so we would have to kill time for a few hours. He took us to Ostia harbor for some relaxation and shopping. We walked the boardwalk and watched the fishers and beach goers line the water (many in speedos that hurt the eyes). 


For lunch, we found a pizzeria that had a deal for a margherita pizza, a coke, and gelato. They ended up making about 25 of those specials! I tried Nutella gelato...not too shabby!

Our director, Giorgio, picked us back up and we then headed for Rome.  We quickly walked to the Piazza Navaro, the Pantheon, and then to the Trevi Fountain. I finally got to take some pictures with the fountain, seeing as it was under construction that last time I was there! We only took a quick spin around the city because we will be back tomorrow!



Comments from students today:
"Whoa why shop at Crabtree mall when I can just come to the airport?! They have Michael Kors!" (From a boy)

"I'm not sure what I ordered. I just pointed at some words. I think I got a pizza??"

"My mom told me to get this jello stuff while I'm here" 
"Gelato?"
"Yeah, I think that's it!"
(He then ate 3 gelatos...in one day...)

Kids passed out from a long day! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! The pictures didn't come through! But it sounds like it was a good first day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're there safely. Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete